Thursday, August 16, 2012

One Little Boy

Yesterday as I was leaving the school after taking traditional pictures of all the kids in their classrooms, a chubby little hand reached up and grasped tightly in mine. "You just have one little boy," Ivan said in his matter of fact two year old voice. "I sure do," I said. I wanted to cry. Just the thought of leaving four of my kids with someone else for such a long time during the day chokes me up. But it's also a very exciting start to a new time in our families lives.

Ivan and I spent yesterday having a "lazy day". We went for a walk, read books, did his favorite puzzle about twenty times. I baked muffins and blueberry banana bread and I wasn't interrupted even one time. This summer was lots of fun, but it was also very difficult. The kids are all far apart enough in age to want to do different activities, but close enough in age to do themselves some serious fighting. By the end of their summer vacation, I seriously considered recording myself saying, "stop fighting," and just have it on auto play.

I've spent the past 10 years in full on mommy mode. My life has been spent living in sweats with frazzled hair and no makeup. And you know what? I've enjoyed every second of it. I know that the chaotic balancing act of taking constant care of five kids is a season in my life. A season that at times has felt like an eternity, but as I left that school with only one little boy, I realized that this season has gone by in the blink of an eye.

Our family picture after Ivan Thomas was born. If there's one thing I've learned as a mom, it's to enjoy every second of the time spent with your kids.

1 comment:

Sally said...
This comment has been removed by the author.