Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Beautiful

It's been exactly two weeks since the older kids have gone back to school. I've been thinking about the day I would only have one child at home for a long time. I've enjoyed the chaos of five little ones being with my every day, but I've also looked forward to a slower pace of life having only one child at home offers.

I knew I would spend the first few days being deliciously lazy. I did and it felt wonderful. Playing outside, taking walks, cleaning my house and having it actually stay clean for more than two minutes (: It's been really fun. But I thought for sure by now I would be waking up in the morning and fixing my hair and putting on makeup. I hardly ever wear makeup and my hair stays in a perpetual state of dishevelment. We went out with some friends a couple of weeks ago, so I had an excuse to make myself nice and pretty. I curled my hair and wore a cute outfit. And it felt fabulous. But it also took me an hour and a half to get ready, and quite frankly, I can think of a lot of other things I would rather be doing in an hour and a half. Like read books with Ivan or try out a new recipe or look at Pinterest for fun ideas (:

Still being in "mom to a bunch of kids mode" has kind of gotten me down lately. I wonder if I should put forth an effort to look pretty every day. I see other moms who always look so put together and it made me feel a little jealous of the lifestyle some people get to live. I hate being envious of other people. It's such a stupid thing to want what someone else has (or what I *think* they have). It left me feeling bummed and like I wasn't good enough because I live in yoga pants.

So I took Ivan outside and we played in the leaves and he got just as dirty as a little boy should get. I grabbed a rake and he grabbed a broom and I started raking the leaves in the front yard. After about 30 minutes of raking, my neighbor pulled her car up to the curb and said, "You're a vision of beauty!" Huh? How could I, covered in sweat and leaves and dirt, be beautiful? But then she said, "I love watching you keep up with your little one."  And it struck me, a mom just living life with her family really is beautiful. I got so consumed with thinking everyone else was having so much more fun than me, but I let that control the happiness I have all around me. I love how a change in perspective can alter your view on life. I got to see how my neighbor sees me. I spent the day feeling down on myself. But that change in perspective made me realize that my life is just as fun as anyone else. In fact, it's pretty much perfect.


No makeup, covered in sweat and dirt- but today I feel beautiful.



3 comments:

DevynBeth said...

gurrl you are beautiful.. with or with out makeup. I felt the same way for a long time, I hated being mommy-frumpy, but it works for life alot better. Truth is I live most days in yoga pants, dirty hair, and no makeup... a few months ago I made a pact with myself to get dolled up at least once a week even if I had absolutely no reason to, I started doing that, and before I knew it, suddenly I had reasons to get dolled up once a week or more.. I guess its kind of like that "The Secret" book principle. I've also learned how to do my make up to look like its taken hours, but it really only takes a few minutes. You can be a super mommy and a glam queen if you really want to. :)

DevynBeth said...

oops, I commented twice, after I wrote that comment, it looked like it didnt post or got erased or something.. so i posted it on facebook too.. LOL sorry for being redundant

Big Head, Little Body said...

I like both of your comments (: I have the comments set to having to be approved by me first, but I need to change it.
I love how you made a pact with yourself to get dolled up at least once a week. I need to start doing that. I don't ever have a chance to do anything without kids, but I do know that I feel good when I take the time to fix my hair and do my makeup. I think you should write a blog post about doing your makeup in a few minutes!!! (: