Sunday, December 22, 2013

Love

For years I've wanted to get pictures of my kids hung on the wall. As much as I take pictures and love pictures, I don't display them. But today I decided to give myself a Christmas gift and finally print special pictures of the kids and get nice picture frames.

Being the savvy shopper that I am, I started at the thrift store. I found lots of things that I wanted to get, but the picture frames I had in mind just weren't there. So I headed to my next go to place- Target. As I was trudging through the slushy snow to get inside, I saw a mom carrying in her baby in an infant car seat. Oh, how I remember the days of hoisting a heavy car seat on your hip, trying to pull a shopping cart out and lifting that heavy car seat in place. I quickly pulled a cart out and turned to her, "Here, you can take this one." I know she heard me. But she looked right past me, poker faced, and hoisted that car seat up on her hip and grabbed her own cart. I wish I was the type of person who could keep my mouth shut. But I can't. Without hesitation I said, "UHHHH, Oook!!!!" And I made sure for it to be loud enough that other people heard and saw me rolling my eyes at her.

I quickly made my way to the home decor section. But by then, I was in a sour mood. Every person had turned from a last minute shopper to a stupid jerk face who was just out to annoy me.

I wanted to just go home and not deal with people anymore. It's Christmastime, what happened to people being joyful, or at least nice?

But I was on a mission to find the perfect picture frames to hang on the wall. So I went to another store. It took me forever to choose just the right frames, but I finally found what I had in mind, so I went to stand in the check out line.

As I was waiting in line, five picture frames in hand, an older man snuck in front of me. "Ughh, here we go again, with the rude people," I thought. And then he turned to me, "I reckon I don't know where to get in line. I'm sorry if I cut in front of you, I'm just trying to get this paid for and out of the store before my granddaughter sees." He held two pink doll chairs and a table. I suddenly felt like a complete jerk face. I love being nice to people. I love going out of my way to do something kind for others. But it's contingent upon their response. Sure, I'll hold the door for someone or let them pull out in front of me, but if I don't get a "thanks" or a wave or an acknowledgement that I did something nice, it's all over. I want to be loving, but if I do something kind with only my selfish reasons in mind, what's the point?

I gulped down my pride, and said, "Please, go in front of me. I'm not in a hurry." And then something happened. I saw that old man for what he was. A person, flawed, just like me, trying to get a Christmas present for his granddaughter. If he hadn't said anything to me, I would have thought the worst of him and given him the stink eye.

And who knows, maybe the woman who refused my shopping cart really didn't hear me. Or maybe she was having a really hard day and didn't even notice my kind gesture.

I was reminded of something today that I must be reminded of daily- "Love is patient, Love is kind." If I want to live out the kind of Love that only Christ can give, I must start at the very root of Love and put all of my expectations and pretenses aside. It's hard. It's especially hard for me. But there is no way to demonstrate genuine love and kindness when you expect something in return.

This holiday season, I want to see people for what they are- human, just like me, and in need of Love. I pray that God will give me opportunities to show that Love. And I pray that I will realize, deeply, that demonstrating Love requires no response.

I got my picture frames. Perfect frames to encase the faces of my precious babies. I know I will walk by these pictures on my wall every day, and I will see little faces that will turn into grown faces. I'll cherish my Christmas gift. One day, even that will fade away. But Love won't. Love conquers all.

No comments: