Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I love Fall. I love when the weather gets cooler and the trees start changing colors. I love getting back into the school time routine and all of the fun activities that happen around this time of year. But I get kind of weird when it's Fall. I start preparing for Winter. I'm like an animal working diligently to store up for the cold days that are quickly approaching. Except I'm not gathering acorns. I'm cleaning out the garage so we can fit at least one vehicle in there. I'm packing up shorts and t-shirts and replacing them with jeans and sweaters.

My latest preparation for Winter was making an office in our bedroom. Last year for Father's Day, I made a little office for Nate in the laundry room. It was a fabulous idea and it looked great, but it just wasn't practical. In the Summer, it was too hot and in the Winter, it was too cold. So he couldn't use his nice little office. A few weeks ago, we moved the older kids down to our finished basement. And Ivan got their old room. There was a space in our room where his crib used to be that was just perfect for Nate's desk. So the unpractical laundry room office became a cozy bedroom office.

This space is perfect for Malachi to do his homework. I've been struggling with trying to find a way to get Malachi to be motivated to do his homework without me telling him every day to get his work done. I'm actually going to incorporate the dry erase board we used over the Summer to schedule in homework for the kids. For someone who is as unorganized as I am, it's critical for me to schedule things and have it visual so the kids and I both know what to expect for the day.

 This space is also great for Nate to work on brewery stuff. I love how cozy this little desk is in our room. I have lots of other things to do to get ready for the cold weather, but I couldn't be happier with the way the bedroom office turned out. When you have 7 people in a 2 bedroom house, it's always a huge success when you can find a way to utilize space in a cute, functional way! (:

Add caption

1 comment:

DevynBeth said...

The little office looks adorable. I am kind of the same way with fall, I become much more domestic. I love baking and cooking (and eating) when its cold... I think its my innate animal hibernation instincts that make me want to "fatten up" for winter hibernation!